The hype is on and talks between Top rank and Golden boy has been on course of action as they discuss the possible Oscar De La Hoya and Manny Pacquiao showdown on Dec.6.
The topic seems to be a hot item in every corner around boxing forums and blogoshpere. Many disagreed about Manny’s hefty decision in facing a bigger but slower De La Hoya. The weight and height discrepancy is just way too immense for the smaller Manny. It might be a career threatening fight for Manny and still at 29 the horizon is still so wide to make an abrupt change for his future. Manny has already made a legacy of his own and a fight with Oscar doesn’t affect his legacy which he already anchored in the world of boxing. In other words there’s nothing much to proved for this fight. So why Manny do still wants a piece of Oscar?
1. Money talks and fight happens– Mike Tyson could fight Kimbo Slice or litte Ivan Calderon could fight the trash talking Armenian in Vic Darchinyan. Mismatches don’t count as long as the money is good and any fight can happen. Manny Pacquiao is certainly the no.1 pound per pound in the world today and there’s no fighter today that could cash in so much money than Oscar De La Hoya. Floyd Mayweather benefited his split decision win in Oscar and made so much money that he changed his moniker to Money Mayweather. Oscar has one last fight left before hanging up his gloves for good. This is the only time Manny can earn more than what he is earning now and with two years or less left on his boxing career he will be stupid not to take this fight.
2. Coach says so– Freddie Roach would not take this fight if he doesn’t think Manny has an ample chance of winning the fight. Freddie has trained Oscar on his fight against Floyd and he sees his flaws and weaknesses in other words Freddie knows what it takes for Manny to win or knock Oscar out. Speed and power will equate Oscar’s weight and height disparity. Coach Freddie knows how to solve the puzzle now it’s up to Manny how he executes.
3. A period after an exclamation– Manny has conquered many wars on his budding career… He had notable wins against Mexican legends like Barrera, Morales and Marquez. Although with or without De La Hoya, Manny has already proven himself worthy to be at par with the greats in boxing. But a showdown with Oscar will make history win or loose Manny has a lot to gain and nothing to loose his legacy intact and his name forever be mentioned.
There you go folks. I personally believed this fight will happen and although others see it as a circus freak but we never know what will happen. This has already happen in the bible on David and Goliath. Manny knows he can take this fight… who are we to stop him from believing… so what’s your take? Will this ever come about? There’s no signed paper yet the least we could do is just to speculate….
Latest posts by Jess Matthew Beltran (see all)
- Vince Carter Can Still Do It – November 11, 2017
- Dwight Howard: Superman’s Mortality – October 7, 2017
- Canelo Alvarez – Genady Golovkin : How Boxing Stole The Fight – September 18, 2017