The Playoffs now is more of a territorial domination. Teams are defending more in home games and are gearing to protect their home court advantage. The Celtics got two game 7 games at home and work more to their advantage. The Conference finals for the Eastern and Western would be a war set between the two bests of the east and the west. The New Orleans Hornets and the Utah Jazz did their very best to hold the defending champions San Antonio Spurs and the Los Angeles Lakers but experienced and determination played a vital role in the series. Orlando showed some toughness but went soft in the end as Detroit demolished Orlando and the hopes of moving forward for the conference finals. Boston got in trouble with King James and was closed of losing their edge but veterans Kevin Garnet and Paul Pierce spelled the difference and got a date with destiny against the five time conference finals mainstay Detroit Pistons. 4 teams made it to the next round and with only one step higher left before making it to the top all the teams are stepping up their gear and moving a notch higher. I made a short Analysis for the conference finals and whoever team that imposes their dominance in defense would surely be the team to look forward to this June. A good defense is a good offense…
Boston Celtics (1) – Detroit Pistons (2)
– With the recent turn of events this playoffs the Boston Celtics couldn’t find its groove and had to undergo two game seven games just to get into the Eastern conference finals. But nonetheless a win is a win and as they took the first game in the series they are now more focused than ever. The Detroit Pistons have been in the Eastern conference finals for the past 5 years and they already know how it is to get there in the finals. The more gelled and veteran team of Detroit has injected some new blood into their roster with Jason Maxiell and Rodney Stuckey playing some major roles in their bench. Detroit is a team that has played for years and has won the championship twice in the last five years and they will rely more on their experienced against the star studded Boston Celtics team. Detroit will be depending on their court general Chauncy Billups leadership but with the recent injury Chauncy is facing Stuckey the inexperience point guard will have to spend more minutes on the court. Boston will have to exploit Detroit in that sense. But still I see this series as a seesaw battle and will have to go to the distance. I like Detroit but this time I like Boston’s chances.
Los Angeles Lakers (1) – San Antonio Spurs (3)
– We all remember Derek Fisher’s winning shot against the spurs in 2004 that put a dagger on the hearts of the San Antonio fans. That was a shot to remember and a shot that the San Antonio Spurs painfully remembers every Laker game. A revitalize Kobe Bryant after having won his first MVP award wanted to make history and carries his team to the promise land. But this time his supporting cast delivers. Pau Gasol, Lamar Odom, Derek Fisher and Luke Walton are now making waves on the Lakers offense and defense making them the early favorites to win the championship. But we should not discount the hearts of the champions as the defending champions Spurs tries to recapture the crown and become a back to back champions a feat they tried to achieve but failed in most of their tries. The Spurs will be looking for an upset win against the Lakers on their home turf.
Tim Duncan had a hard time guarding against agile and long players as evident on their Hornets series. And with Pau Gasol doing the damage on the paint Tim has to hold his ground and have to match Gasol’s intensity toe to toe. This series is an old rivalry so there aren’t much changes being made from both teams. The Lakers will have to play smart as the Spurs will be more physical this time. A well rested Lakers can be an advantage as Bryant can rest his ailing back and could very well prepare for the upcoming battle. The Spurs will have to play an almost perfect game to beat the Lakers. This is a tough matchup for both teams but the Lakers dominance will prevail. That’s why they are no.1 right?
With much said and done a rebirth of the Lakers-Boston rivalry is on the making a dream matchup I love to see. The road to the championship is narrow and the team who gets there clearly deserves it. Still there are no certainties and there would be upsets. We might see a new champion or an unlikely champion will emerge… The Drama continues… It’s either win or go home…
Latest posts by Jess Matthew Beltran (see all)
- Vince Carter Can Still Do It – November 11, 2017
- Dwight Howard: Superman’s Mortality – October 7, 2017
- Canelo Alvarez – Genady Golovkin : How Boxing Stole The Fight – September 18, 2017