Manny Pacquiao has continuously surprise and exceed expectations. His devastating win against top pound per pound opponents Oscar De La Hoya and Ricky Hatton was a validation if not a statement of his greatness. So what’s next for Manny? With the return of former pound per pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr. and the continuous calling of Juan Manuel Marquez and other Marquee fighters, Manny is likely to fight again before the year ends. Floyd and Marquez lock a deal this July and that makes Manny in the waiting game. There are suggestions that Manny should keep himself active and after careful deliberation team Pacquiao narrowed their options to Shane Mosley and Miguel Cotto. Manny I think they should go for Shane Mosley for the following reasons…
1. Age is still a factor – Shane Mosley is a 37 year old fighter who is passed his prime 7 years ago. His win against Margarito was his biggest achievement in his boxing career at this stage when he gave Margarito a boxing lesson and neutralizes Antonio’s strong offense. He has good hand speed but a younger Pacquiao can dominate him in many ways. And even though Mosley has good defense I just don’t know if he can keep up an energizer bunny like Manny. Eventually Age would be a factor.
2. Mosley’s southpaw problem – He lost twice to a defensive southpaw Ronald “Winky” Wright although he had won most battles against a lefty but he is in trouble if being paired by a defensive one. Manny’s defense is underrated but as he progress he has develop into a complete fighter. He’s no more the offense is defense type but the other way around. Mosley would be in for a bigger problem facing a defensive southpaw with power in both hands.
3. Mosley is beatable compared to a younger Cotto – Miguel Cotto dominated Mosley by moving and boxing with angles and Manny can surely duplicate if not surpass Cotto’s act. Cotto would be a high risk low reward fight and is a much dangerous opponent for Manny. Although Mosley dominated the fighter who gave Cotto’s first defeat but Margarito’s credibility for now is still a question. Cotto clearly was dominating Margarito at that time before a stubborn Margarito had his second wind back. Manny should be fighting Mosley because he has a bigger chance of winning rather than risking a dangerous Cotto. If not Mosley then he waits for the winner of the Mayweather-Marquez bout.
Fighting Mosley would be huge hit among boxing fans but unfortunately there are also downsides to this bout. Cotto-Pacquiao is much more feasible compared to Mosley-Pacquiao since Cotto and Manny are both Top rank fighters. The rift between two promotional kingpins’ Top rank and Golden boy seems to be patching up but they would rather see their own fighters head to head in the ring than sharing revenues with each other. Other thing would be the catch weight which is unlikely for Pacquiao to be fighting in the welterweight division. He had done it once but a bigger and smart fighter like Mosley is certainly a no-no. They could meet half way at 142 lbs in which an old Mosley is uncertain in making that weight. Discussions are ongoing Mosley or Cotto? Either way it’s still an exciting fight to watch.
Latest posts by Jess Matthew Beltran (see all)
- Canelo Alvarez – Genady Golovkin : How Boxing Stole The Fight – September 18, 2017
- Conor Mcgregor has a chance to score an upset against Floyd Mayweather – August 24, 2017
- Kyrie Irving Is Making His Own Legacy – August 13, 2017