Last Saturday I was quick to criticized Nonito Donaire for fighting a lackluster performance against Rafael Concepcion. Now I know how Judas felt having his 30 pieces of silver minus the kiss. I wasn’t technical about it and I only write from what I saw in the fight. We are so used of seeing Nonito dominating his opponents starting from his Vic Darchinyan KO that was one spectacular KO that it served as a baseline for all his fights. Rafael Concepcion is no Darchinyan and he fits the bill of a good pre game workout but what we failed to realized are the following factors:
1. Rafael Concepcion was overweight by 4 pounds in their official weigh in
2. Inspite of the weight difference Nonito could have cancelled the fight but instead opt to fight Concepcion.
3. Nonito only weighs 7 pounds heavier on fight night which is the Super Bantamweight limit of 122lbs.
4. Concepcion who weighs a pound heavier in the Bantam weight limit (119) on the weigh in came into the fight as a lightweight which is 13 lbs. heavier than Donaire at 135lbs.
5. Concepcion refuse to wear the 10 ounce gloves mandated for fighters who failed to make the weight limit.
6. Talks have surface that Concepcion wore an Everlast gloves with thinner padding in the knuckles.
Nonito tasted Concepcion’s power in the second round with two right hooks realizing Concepcion’s power Nonito fought in bunches refusing to engage a dangerous lightweight fighter. It was his courage that gave him a unanimous decision and it was his heart that spelled the difference… It was like putting a sheep in the lion’s den with Concepcion aching for one final blow. I hope this would give Nonito justice. His bravery was unfathomable and as for Concepcion… Shame on you. You refused to go down the required weight limit… You refused to fight on a 10 ounce gloves and you fought Nonito as a lightweight at 135 lbs. but most of all you made us look stupid.